The Mineola Harrison Avenue Parking Structure is taking shape, with approximately 25 percent of the new six-level, 551-space parking structure now in place. The entire structure is expected to be ready for use by summer 2020.
Construction on the garage began in October 2018, with utility relocation completed in January 2019. Support of Excavation (SOE) walls were installed from January to March and excavation began in February with 700 truckloads of soil removed from the site. During this time, foundation work also began. In all, 850 cubic tons of concrete will be poured on site over an eleven-month period. The garage is currently being constructed using 600 precast concrete sections.
The modular construction method employed at the Mineola Harrison Parking Structure eliminates the need to build forms (such as the columns at LIRR stations) and to pour concrete and wait for it to cure. Sections of the structure are delivered to the worksite, assembled and connected. Once the sections are assembled on site, architectural, plumbing, electrical and communications systems work will follow. Elevators will be installed during this time and into the spring of 2020. A rigorous testing program will be conducted in the spring and summer of 2020 and a Certificate of Occupancy is expected to be granted soon afterward.
- Total weight of soil excavated: 20,000 tons
- Number of trucks used to dispose of excavated soil: 700 trucks
- Total weight of gravel spread: 500 tons
- Volume of concrete poured on site: 850 cubic yards
- Number of precast concrete wall panels being assembled: 600
- Total weight of precast wall panels: 15,000 tons
- Average weight of each precast concrete Double T floor slab: 35 tons
- Length of electrical cable to be installed: 2,500 feet
- Amount of blacktop to be installed: 100,000 square feet
- Number of lighting fixtures to be installed: 800
For more information, architectural renderings and photographs of ongoing construction, please visit the Mineola Harrison Avenue Parking Structure project page on AModernLI.com.